Entergy Mississippi, LLC
myAccount|Payment Options|Our Community|Business & Economic Development|Energy Education & Safety|About Us|Entergy.com
Printable Page 
Residential Main Page
Electrical Safety
Basic Safety
Fires and Burns
Electric Shock
Downed Lines
Downed Lines and Vehicles
Preparing for Outages
Storm Safety
First Responders
Indoor Projects
Outdoor Projects
Case Studies
Electrical Safety World
Meter Reader Safety
Copper Theft
Safety Videos

Electric Shock 

Stay away from the victim.

If someone has been shocked, do NOT touch the person or anything he or she is touching. There's a chance the person may still be in contact with the source of the electricity. You could become part of electricity's path and be shocked or even killed!

Take these steps: 

  • Turn off the electricity to the building at the main breakers or service panel.
  • Call for help (usually 9-1-1). Tell them it is an electrical accident.
  • When the victim is not in contact with the source of electricity and you're sure there is no danger, give first aid for electrical injury. This may include CPR.
  • Don't touch burns, break blisters, or remove burned clothing. Electrical shock may cause burns inside the body that are not immediately apparent, so be sure the person is taken to a doctor.

Do not touch an electric shock victim unless you are sure he or she is no longer in contact with the source of electricity. You won't be much help if you get shocked too!




Copyright 2015 Culverco, LLC. All rights reserved. Not for print reproduction or distribution.