DCSIMG
Entergy Mississippi, Inc.
myAccount|Payment Options|Our Community|Business & Economic Development|Energy Education & Safety|About Us|Entergy.com
Printable Page 
Residential Main Page
Electrical Safety
Basic Safety
Living Dangerously
How Shock Happens
Power Lines
Your Service Panel
GFCIs and Grounding
Electrical Fires
Appliance Safety
Electricity and Water
Workplace Safety
Prevent Workplace Fires
Family Safety
Boating Safety
Emergencies
Indoor Projects
Outdoor Projects
Case Studies
Electrical Safety World
Meter Reader Safety
Copper Theft
Safety Videos

Electrical Fires 

Watch bulbs and cords.

Lightbulbs can reach 300°F and are an often-overlooked fire hazard. Overloaded outlets or faulty wires can also cause fires. Be sure to use extension cords that are rated to match the amperage of the appliance or equipment you plan to connect. And never run appliance or extension cords under rugs or furniture, as the cords can overheat and cause a fire.

Spot problems before they cause fire or shock. 

Don't wait for an accident. Take action at once by calling a qualified repair person if you notice any of these danger signs:

  • Recurring problems with blowing fuses or tripping circuit breakers.
  • Feeling a tingle when you touch an electrical appliance.
  • Discoloration of wall outlets.
  • A burning smell or unusual odor coming from an appliance or wiring.
  • Sizzling sound at wall switches or outlets.
  • Flickering lights

Appliances can get hot. 

Keep any flammable items well away from lightbulbs, heaters, toasters, and other electric appliances. And always turn off heating and cooking appliances before leaving the house.

Use appliances and electric cords wisely to prevent fire or shock.

 

 

Copyright 2015 Culverco, LLC. All rights reserved. Not for print reproduction or distribution.